Welcome to Gaia! ::

You do not Duel because...

you despise Mahayr. 0.041666666666667 4.2% [ 1 ]
you despise someone else in here. 0.125 12.5% [ 3 ]
you are, as accused, CHICKEN! 0.083333333333333 8.3% [ 2 ]
it is beneath you, you are just that good. BUT too chicken to prove it. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
you have too much on your plate for lowly duels, and are CHICKEN! 0.041666666666667 4.2% [ 1 ]
there is not enough to be gained, you are greedy. 0.25 25.0% [ 6 ]
Other... post your own answer. 0.45833333333333 45.8% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 24 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 63 64 65 > >>

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
No one would dare complain against you!

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image
*Challenger name: caffine (Whoppers) [O]
*Defender name: The Love Mutt (Clarice) [O]
*Bet: 1K
*Type of Duel: Regular
*Judge: Adimurti
*Form: Free-Verse
*Subject: Fire
*Bets Paid: The Love Mutt; caffine

caffine
To sear through someone’s heart
In more ways than one
Restarting though faith has been one not lost
The settling of dust, the emerging frost
A mere few hours before
A change in mother-nature’s lore
Like an umbilical cord life and death severed
To hurl, spit and charge affront
Men, women and children, all take the brunt
They know this growing fire will be no runt
Weaving, curling, like colored gypsy hair
The devil has really left his lair
Blackened trees, blackened hearts
Skeletal houses, sunken eyes,
We try to nurture mother-nature in all her ways
But all we see is contempt in her unfeeling gaze
With humanity on our side we’ll cope
Even with the toll and massive scope
The umbilical cord strung together again with tape
And rope

This is a lot stronger than the last piece I judged for you - the ideas, descriptions and presentation of both those are a lot better. I've italicised lines/phrases/ideas/parts I think you could work on to improve, either on a cliché or generic basis. There's parts where I feel you've cut off from the idea or description too soon and left it hanging. For example, "weaving, curling, like colored gypsy hair" and then you change your idea completely to go with a new idea which isn't as interesting. Rather than going through lots of ideas, try carrying one out and creating something with it - don't milk it until you're completely out of ideas to present or describe that one idea, but make it 'important' (for want of a better word) by building the context and messages into the images and ideas. Like your other piece (although not so much) there's parts of this that feel list-like, which is part of the previous criticism. For example: "skeletal houses, sunken eyes," starts to generate an image, but it could easily be a description of the windows in the houses imploding with heat, or dead bodies left in the fire's trail. "Skeletal houses spectate with sunken eyes," just pushes the image you want to show forward to the reader a little more, but still shows the same thing (if I'm right in thinking the above is what you were going for). Don't be afraid to use enjambment, with your lines, grammar and ideas. It will provide a relief in the restrictions you seem to be putting on yourself at the moment. The continuing idea of Mother Nature might benefit from you not stating that it's her that you're talking about all the time - like by showing that it's her towards the beginning and then keeping the references to her but without outright saying 'Mother Nature'. Also, the umbilical cord idea has been done quite a few times before, so be careful with it if you make edits because you could easily end up using some clichés.
But, as I said, this is stronger that the last piece [that I saw], so keep going into that direction. This piece seems to have a lot more thought going into the writing, too.

The Love Mutt
Only YOU can prevent adolescent Burn-outs

Her body moves like a wildfire,
crashing sporadically, mesmerizing
hair flickering out in sparks I don't think the line break is enough to leave punctuation here. Maybe a dash?
her cinders still burning you
eons later.

Later, Smokey's warnings still haunt
you, rubbing her back, the sounds of her Maybe make this second comma a colon or semi-colon?
retching and reek of the john

all that remains of her nightly
forest fire,
poorly extinguished I think this would suit being in brackets more.

and today's chance of fire: Instead of using 'fire' I think you should go with something showing a re-occurrence, seeing as fire's been used as a metaphor throughout.

high.

I liked this. The links with fire and it's [possible] aftermath on people being brought in and the way the fire's personified so strongly really worked, to me. The only real problem I had was the punultimate line, mainly because it kind of hinders the continuancy of the piece; and the punctuation suggestions are just to help more with reading and the flow, but no big issue. Apart from that, it's a good read. 3nodding

I declare The Love Mutt the winner of this duel, for her stronger use of poetic devices and her use of the subject.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I need to update page one and take advantage of my new area to keep records! Idiot me.

You are wonderful, Chris!

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Mahayr
I need to update page one and take advantage of my new area to keep records! Idiot me.

You are wonderful, Chris!

I'll get those forms sorted out for you this evening. biggrin

And I try. xd

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Alright, many thanks (AGAIN!).

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Mahayr
Alright, many thanks (AGAIN!).

Most welcome - m'Lady. :bows: heart

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
*Inclines her head with another smile and settles down on her furs with new tea.*
Do I have everything I need for my current duel? I can't recall is all of the bets were sent.
zero the last decepticon
Do I have everything I need for my current duel? I can't recall is all of the bets were sent.

Your duel with Isis? I haven't received the 15k from either of you yet.
Sin Apophis
zero the last decepticon

The one that I'm judging, I meant.
also think that we're going to ask for a guest Judge: Trysse.
That is, unless she's already one of the judges...Then we just want Trysse.

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
My bet's sent - can't say I've started on my entry, though. sweatdrop
Adimurti
My bet's sent - can't say I've started on my entry, though. sweatdrop

I'm almost done.. I just need to write the senryu.

EDIT:

Am done, just editing right now...
zero the last decepticon
Sin Apophis
zero the last decepticon

The one that I'm judging, I meant.
also think that we're going to ask for a guest Judge: Trysse.
That is, unless she's already one of the judges...Then we just want Trysse.

You want to switch judges after I've posted the enguarde? Whatever works for you both. I was looking forward to judging that duel, however. Is it possible to have her judge a different one with you both?
Well, to be fair, we haven't sent the bets. We've also already talked to her and with each other.

Also, I got you bet, Ed.

Mahayr, I sent Sera a message.
zero the last decepticon
Well, to be fair, we haven't sent the bets. We've also already talked to her and with each other.

Isis told me what you two have been discussing. Just because your view on the Isis / Trysse duel differs from mine, doesn't mean I'm an "unfair" judge. I personally thought Isis did better than Trysse. That doesn't make me unfair, just because Isis and I are friendly outside of Gaia. It also doesn't make me unfair because you thought differently.

I don't care who judges the duel, but I wish you had said that s**t to me, Brad.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff